Hoxworth Blood Center, University of Cincinnati needs to collect from 350 volunteer blood donors and 40 volunteer platelet donors each day to keep up with the demands of tri-state hospitals and their patients. Hoxworth, founded in 1938, serves 31 hospitals in 17 counties in Southwestern Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeastern Indiana. Annually, Hoxworth collects over 90,000 units of blood from local volunteer donors to help save the lives of patients in area hospitals.
Hoxworth Blood Center, University of Cincinnati department of Donor Recruitment and Community Relations office is seeking an intern to assist with day-to-day duties of the community relations (CR) office and donor recruitment (DR) office, a fast-paced, team-oriented environment that coordinates internal and external communications for the Tri-State region.
- The intern will assist in writing and developing content for publications, websites and social media outlets.
- Updating and developing various websites.
- Generating audio and video content.
- Producing news releases.
- Working with local and regional news media.
- Assisting with creation and maintenance of a data archive system.
- Assist with special projects/events such as high profile blood drives.
- The intern will gain experience in Web communications, media relations, writing, design, electronic media, event planning and internal communications.
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with strong writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Working major in public relations, electronic media/Web Communications, journalism (news writing/editing) or any other communications-related discipline.
- Candidate must have a strong interest in Web communications. Preferred qualifications include knowledge of and experience with Windows and Macintosh operating systems, Internet browsers, Microsoft Word and an understanding of emerging communication technologies, especially those related to the Web.
- Candidate should be able to work independently and multi-task efficiently.
Internship Period and Preferred Hours
- Summer: Mid-June through August, 3 days/week, 8 hour days; 200 hours total. However, the hours can be altered to arrange for a mutually agreeable schedule with the selected intern.
- Fall/Winter: 3 days/week, 8 hour days; 200 hours total. However, the hours can be altered to arrange for a mutually agreeable schedule with the selected intern.
Public Information Officer/Community Relations Manager
Hoxworth Blood Center, University of Cincinnati
3130 Highland Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45267
Office: (513) 558-1296